Friday, December 19, 2008

My job...

I took a great deal of time off from my "real job". Enough time to realize a few things. One of the biggest realizations is that I enjoy being in one place leading a normal life. Right now my life is so far from normal that anyone reading this would not believe me. I spent 9 days in NYC watching a woman who was pushing 80 spend money like she printed it. All in cash as well! She had really refined shopping to an artform!
I am now in LA looking after a family I have looked after before. I spend 12 hours a night in a hallway just in case the protectee wants to go out. Her son had 2 cars delivered here today. The new Mclaren Mercedes, and a brand new ferrari. Paid for with cash! It is unfreaking believable I tell you. Over a million dollars in automobile paid for in cash. Seriously...a 610 thousand dollar car...is that really necesary? Apparently in some circles it is.
I enjoy what I do but its time for me to move on. I miss Jamie terribly...I guess I am at a point in my life where I just really value what is important, and I have trouble tolerating the things that are not. It would be one thing if I was actually keeping someone safe...especially someone that deserved to have me keep them safe. But, I am not. In my younger days, when I first started in this business I would work anyone...anyone at all. I protected a lot of people that were not very nice. I try to stay away from that now. I tend to only protect people that have a significant threat, and have a need/desire for security. My current gig is nowhere close to that...my current gig is purely for the money. And, right about now that is not a good enough reason for me.
So this time next year I want to have a new career. I want to do something that serves the greater good, and I dont want to be away from the person I love. I used to work all the time. I ignored everything but work, and my life fell apart. I worked hard to put a life back together, and the life I have is like nothing I could have ever imagined. I want to keep it that way.
So here it is in writing...my commitment to do something else. I want to read this a year from now, and smile as I am preparing for the holidays with Jamie in our place in New England. I dont want to be calling her from some distant location saying I wish I was there with you. Sharing happiness...that is what is important. That is my priority. After this job I dont think I wil be losing sight of that...

1 comment:

TRONQUI said...

go for it
all the best my friend, all the best